Breaking down in tears

This is where most of us will hang around and chat.
Please keep it clean.
Politics (which never remains clean) has its own section! ;)
tankbuster1

Re: Breaking down in tears

January 11th, 2019, 9:24 pm

He still did not survive a Massacre he never even seen it and what I think about that is what it is.

Bobby Charlton was in a Plane crash and would have died if not for being saved

January 11th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Right well whatever you might think
He was there he did survive
And he is the greatest

tankbuster1

January 11th, 2019, 9:55 pm

1875 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 9:49 pm
Right well whatever you might think
He was there he did survive
And he is the greatest
Tennis Player in Scotland

January 12th, 2019, 9:58 pm

T8MML wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 8:03 pm
Theadder4 wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 7:37 pm
Who is the greatest ever british sportsman then ?
Steve Redgrave
Thing is though Tim
I would bet my life more people know who Murray’s rivals were
Because it was a sport that contained some of the greatest ever sportsman of this era

What was the name of the other top canoeists

?

LittleMate

January 13th, 2019, 11:44 am

1875 wrote:
T8MML wrote:
Theadder4 wrote:
Steve Redgrave
Thing is though Tim
Because it was a sport that contained some of the greatest ever sportsman of this era

?
Comparing sports is hard to do. Murray is almost certainly the best British tennis player ever, but only for a very short period was he the world's best. Redgrave belonged to a smaller, less recognised, sport but was pretty much the daddy of it for over a decade. Even though he did not compete in singles events, he pretty much pulled the rest of his team with him to the very last.

They are both great sportsmen in their own rights and its a great shame that Andy Murray has had to cut his career short.

Rivher

January 13th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Theadder4 wrote:
For me it is George Best.

As a starry eyed 8 year old in 1979, I was in the Chelsea players Lounge with my Dad whose best mate happened to be Peter Bonnetti ex England and Chelsea Keeper.

As we walk in I remember seeing Ray Wilkins and maybe Lou Macari who I recognised, but there sat on a seat was George with a big beard. I looked at him mesmerised and he goes to me "hello what's your name?" Simon I sort of blurted out in a shy way, he then said come here, so I looked at my Dad who nodded back to say yes you can talk to him this isn't one of the nonces we warned you about despite the beard! So he sat me on his knee and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all, I just sat there feeling all important sat on Georgie Best's knee, as he talked to me asking if I am ok. I can tell you now I didn't know the word charisma then, but he really did have some sort of aura about him, and he was very nice to a little star struck lad. I sat there quite a while whilst he spoke to my Dad and other people/players. I did have a photo of it too, just gutted no one can now find it! If I could would have been my profile photo a long time ago!

Oh I believe he was relatively good at football also? 8-)

Rivher

January 13th, 2019, 7:10 pm

LittleMate wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 11:44 am
1875 wrote:
T8MML wrote:

Steve Redgrave
Thing is though Tim

?
Comparing sports is hard to do. Murray is almost certainly the best British tennis player ever, but only for a very short period was he the world's best. Redgrave belonged to a smaller, less recognised, sport but was pretty much the daddy of it for over a decade. Even though he did not compete in singles events, he pretty much pulled the rest of his team with him to the very last.

They are both great sportsmen in their own rights and its a great shame that Andy Murray has had to cut his career short.
Steve Redgrave is a miserable twat by all accounts.

So what constitues a great of sport, just his sporting ability only?

It must be they have the sports personality of the year, and I am not sure if anyone has had any sort of personality since well I don't know since Frank Bruno maybe?

So yeah Redgrave was top of his game for a long time, but I don't know just seems like a load of bollocks rowing, especially when you are not rowing on your own but with others?

So personality and actual sporting prowess, I can not see or think of anyone else to compare to George Best and actually covers both descriptions of the word!

bilthebandit

January 13th, 2019, 8:57 pm

FFS always had Georgie as the greatest footballer EVER bar none and Riv having fallen over and banged his head for once makes perfect sense.

Much as I think Redgrave the greatest Olympian from here its a tad devalued as its an elitest sport with very few competitors similar to dressage or showjumping fencing ect ect ect but hes deffo in the mix.

Can discount the great games players we have had like Davis Davis Hendry Ronnie Alex Bristow Taylor ect as they are not "sportsmen" otherwise Tank will go on google and find some obscure fecker who was undisputed heavyweight champ of conkers for 40 years on the trot.

Also Riv again strangely enough makes the point of personality or it could be just brains over skill so someone plumping for Bobby Moore wont get any arguments from me either or Charlton ofc a mix of great ability and gentleman to boot ofc.

Murrey might squeeze into the top 100 as the second greatest tennis player from GB after Fred Perry naturally.

Phinnies

January 14th, 2019, 10:19 am

Andy Murray best sportsman ever. :) fuck me they must be growing some good gear up in Scotland these days Hoagie. :lol:

bilthebandit

January 14th, 2019, 10:22 am

Phinnies wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 10:19 am
Andy Murray best sportsman ever. :) fuck me they must be growing some good gear up in Scotland these days Hoagie. :lol:
He sends a batch down to Tank and Riv DAILY :D :D

January 14th, 2019, 10:44 am

Best British sportsman in my lifetime Nick
I’ve not heard anything yet to convince me otherwise

Rivhers George Best was a natural talent but in reality he underachieved

Redgrave as I said don’t think he had to overcome as many World class athletes as Murray
It’s just an opinion mind

bilthebandit

January 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Murreys record against Djovik Nadal and Federer be interesting to see don't think there has been any other "world class" players in contention really over the last 10 years give or take and am betting he got smashed by them all esp Nadal who absolutely owned him nearly every time.

Think Redgrave had more world class opposition in his 15 year or so as the best in his field ,Best ofc had 1000 x as many good to world class athletes vying for the crown but agree under achieved a bit on the pitch due to over achieving with 100s of blondes buckets of beer and having a personality.

Theadder4

January 14th, 2019, 1:05 pm

George best ? Thats like saying alex higgins was the best sportsman of all time,on his game he was a genuis ,but like best he was unprofesional lacked deciplin , and wasted a good few years of his playing career, and prob both of them never achieved the heights in their sports that they could have.
To achieve and be voted the best,you have to be dedicated to your sport,and make the best of your talents ,also staying at the top of your sport for a long time shows real greatness.
Last edited by Theadder4 on January 14th, 2019, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phinnies

January 14th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Because Redgraves opponents were not household names doesn’t make it a lesser achievement. He was a battler and a winner

I’m no fan of Murray, I know the Scottish like to believe it’s an anti Scottish thing but it’s just not. I don’t like Taylor (met him several times and he’s an arrogant prick) or Neil Robertson etc

You have to respect what he has achieved for sure but as a person he is just too easy to dislike.

I would counter argue that it is simply a Scottish thing for you boys, if Murray was English you would despise him, because he is universally disliked outside of Scotland just makes you love him more.

I don’t blame you but nah not for me. I could give 8 darts players who are higher on my list. :D

As you say though pal, it’s all a mater of opinions and that’s the beauty of it.

Phinnies

January 14th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Theadder4 wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 1:05 pm
George best ? Thats like saying alex higgins was the best sportsman of all time,on his game he was a genuis ,but like best he was unprofesional lacked deciplin , and wasted a good few years of his playing career, and prob both of them never achieved the heights in their sports that they could have.
To achieve and be voted the best,you have to be dedicated to your sport,and make the best of your talents ,also staying at the top of your sport for a long time shows real greatness.
Think Rivher is getting confused between great sport men and genius talents. In my opinion there is a big difference.

T8MML

January 14th, 2019, 1:26 pm

1875 wrote:
T8MML wrote:
Theadder4 wrote:
Steve Redgrave
Thing is though Tim

?
Fair comment mate. Hard to ignore Nadal beat Murray today. Djorkivic beat Murray today. Federer beat Murray today. It helps the names stick in your mind ;)

This made me chuckle

bilthebandit

January 14th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Now I may have got this the wrong way round but here goes.

Parkinson goes to Higgins gaff or maybe other way round but theres a pic of Best on the wall and Alex looks at it and says "what a waste" saw that somewhere or tother.