A Brit in Spain (Colin take note)

This is where most of us will hang around and chat.
Please keep it clean.
Politics (which never remains clean) has its own section! ;)
T8MML

A Brit in Spain (Colin take note)

December 6th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Today is Constitution Day in Spain - basically the day democracy came back to Spain after years of Fascist rule. Spaniards celebrate it and it is a bank holiday with everything shut - shops, supermarkets, banks, schools etc.

Everything reopens tomorrow but on Saturday it is Immaculate Conception Day - a religious festival which celebrates the day the Almighty slipped up Mary’s nightie and the rest is history. Again all shops etc are closed. Very few, certainly no Spanish supermarkets open on a Sunday

Yesterday like a true Brit knowing the shops are closed for a day hazel sent me shopping with a list to cover us “just in case”. I obeyed and bought in extra supplies. Namely 6 sliced loaves, 4 pints of milk, 12 pack of bog rolls, 4 blocks of butter and 20kg of spuds.

Her dilemma now is with the shops shut Saturday and Sunday should she double everything tomorrow “just in case”?

Ps. A lorry is dropping off the fags “just in case” in an hour

Marky147

Re: A Brit in Spain (Colin take note)

December 6th, 2018, 1:31 pm

:lol: :lol:

Just triple up on Goose :clap:

T8MML

December 6th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Marky147 wrote:

Can’t mate! Doctor stuck me on some anti-b for a week at least. And no I haven’t got the clap - I’d settle for a doze of that for a quick scuttle!!

Ladymuck

December 6th, 2018, 2:50 pm

'
You don't have to be in Spain.

I am like this every single holiday ...(well maybe not so much the last year or 2)

Its like there is going to be a nuclear holocaust. And I stock up for it.

I have other "just in case" issues too. I remember being in Tenerife with Jim and we hired a jeep to go across that volcanic (dry) area. I went into a shop before we set off and bought 12 2 litre bottles of water to take with us.

Jim says, "what on earth is all that for?" I said, "It's like a desert where we are going, what if we break down?" :o

Jim fell over laughing and never ever let me (or anyone else) forget that story :hide:

T8MML

December 6th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Yeah I’m like that with her and bullets - always buy a couple of spares in case I miss!!

Marky147

December 6th, 2018, 9:54 pm

T8MML wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 1:47 pm
Marky147 wrote:

Can’t mate! Doctor stuck me on some anti-b for a week at least. And no I haven’t got the clap - I’d settle for a doze of that for a quick scuttle!!
That's alright, just don't drive :D

Scuffs

December 7th, 2018, 3:18 am

Tim, if all your going to eat over the next couple of days is bread and milk then I think you might need more than 12 bog rolls.

We arrived in Bilbao Thursday Lunchtime. We were aware that is was a bank holiday but didn't know the reason why, thanks for the educational info Tim I love listening to you locals.

6 months ago we booked this trip. The first thing we do here is find a bar with WiFi and go on Tripadvisor to see what there is to do, talk about lack of planning! Due to the already mentioned bank holiday, finding a bar that was open was toughs, I've never seen so many roller shutters closed and the fact they all go and have a sleep in the afternoon didn't fucking help either. The lazy fuckers.

Still, we are doing one of Claire's bucket list things today the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. That's if it's not closed on a national holiday or the doorman needs a nap.

T8MML

December 7th, 2018, 4:09 pm

If you are driving via Valencia well worth a night mate. Safe journey - we’re in Benidorm for the weekend - how lucky am I?

Scuffs

December 7th, 2018, 7:16 pm

T8MML wrote:
If you are driving via Valencia well worth a night mate. Safe journey - we’re in Benidorm for the weekend - how lucky am I?
I haven’t a clue which way, direction or route we are taking yet. Don’t forget we only had 6 months to prepare. We bought some “learn to speak Spanish in 6 weeks” books 3 months ago, not touched them either. I’m trying to remember some Spainish but there’s a little bit of DelBoys French in there too.

Enjoy your weekend in Benidorm, you lucky man.

T8MML

December 7th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Scuffs wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 7:16 pm
T8MML wrote:
I haven’t a clue which way, direction or route we are taking yet. Don’t forget we only had 6 months to prepare. We bought some “learn to speak Spanish in 6 weeks” books 3 months ago, not touched them either. I’m trying to remember some Spainish but there’s a little bit of DelBoys French in there too.

Enjoy your weekend in Benidorm, you lucky man.
Mate my daughter bought me Spanish in twelve weeks all on CD. It’s very good but I gave up a long time ago. Living here you pick up enough to get by. Hazel waves her arms to the right in Spain and to the left when we cross into France.

No joking the only word she has learnt is “cenicero” - ashtray!!

Please her she does try “I asked the waiter for the bill” dead proud - “What did you say?”

La cuenta (Spanish) Sil vous plais (French) gracie (Italian) - no wonder he looked puzzled!